The Indianapolis Colts will once again add a touch of pink to their traditional blue and white color palette as the team joins the NFL’s national “A Crucial Catch” campaign in partnership with the American Cancer Society to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month and encourage annual screenings for women over forty.
The team will officially kick off the month by turning Colts.com pink and hosting the “Pinking of the Canal” event, presented by Pools of Fun, on October 4, and will continue their efforts by dedicating their October 6 game vs. the Seahawks to Breast Cancer Awareness. In addition, the team will introduce their “Pamper Her Pink” program to give breast cancer survivors and women who are currently battling this disease the opportunity to receive a day of a pampering and enjoy dinner with Colts players. The Indianapolis Colts Women’s Organization will also have a Limited Edition Colts Breast Cancer Awareness T-shirt for sale with all proceeds benefiting the IU Simon Cancer Center. Information on each of these events and programs is included below. Fans may visit www.colts.com/pink for more information.
PINKING OF THE CANAL, OCTOBER 4, 2013
For the third consecutive year, the Indianapolis Colts will turn Indianapolis’ downtown canal pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The public is invited to the free “Pinking of the Canal” event, presented by Pools of Fun, on Friday, October 4, from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Ohio Street Basin of the Canal.
Indianapolis Colts Vice Chair and Co-Owner Kalen Irsay will be joined by Indianapolis’ First Lady Winnie Ballard to pour the pink dye into the canal at approximately 12:15 p.m. following a brief program at 12:00 p.m. In addition, attendees will be able to sign a special Colts flag in honor of someone in their life who has been affected by breast cancer. The flag will then be carried by the Colts Mascot, Blue, to lead the team onto the field at their October 6 game vs. the Seahawks.
Additional event activities include:
- Live Music by ”Dave and Rae”
- Free Limited Edition Colts Pink Posters
- Special Edition Pink Colts Item for Sale by the Indianapolis Colts Women’s Organization (proceeds benefit the IU Simon Cancer Center)
- $5 Lunches
- $1 Bottled Water and Pink Lemonade, provided by Coca-Cola (proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society)
- Colts Cheerleaders and Blue
- Opportunity to win Colts tickets
- Informational booths
- Pink Ribbon Passout, provided by Zeta Tau Alpha
“The Pools of Fun family lost a precious member to breast cancer several years ago and we are determined to do what we can to fight this disease as a tribute to her,” said Tim Colon, Pools of Fun President. “By supporting the Pinking of the Canal event it is our hope that we can continue to raise awareness and funding to fight this terrible disease.”
BREAST CANCER AWARENESS GAME, OCTOBER 6, 2013
The Indianapolis Colts are dedicating their October 6 game to Breast Cancer Awareness Month and will include several gameday activities to recognize survivors and engage their fans in this important cause. Colts players will be outfitted in a variety of pink accessories including cleats, wristbands, gloves and more. Other gameday elements include:
- Large Pink Ribbon held by 75 Breast Cancer Survivors during the national anthem
- Run-out tunnel formed by 50 Colts Season Ticket Holders who are currently battling or have survived breast cancer
- Special edition flag carried by Blue and signed by, or in memory of, breast cancer survivors
- Honorary Coin Toss Captain and 12th Man Fan of the Game from the IU Simon Cancer Center
- National Anthem sung by a Breast Cancer Survivor
- Special Edition “Pink” Cover for the Scout Gameday Program
- Colts Cheerleaders and Blue in Pink Attire
- Pink Ribbon Passout, provided by Zeta Tau Alpha
- Special Edition Pink Colts T-shirts for Sale by the Indianapolis Colts Women’s Organization (proceeds benefit the IU Simon Cancer Center)
- Large Inflatable Pink Ribbon in the American Family Insurance Touchdown Town, provided by Indiana University Health
PAMPER HER PINK, SEPTEMBER 16-OCTOBER 8
For a second year, the Colts are excited to launch the “Pamper Her Pink” program, sponsored by Tyler Mason Salon & Spa, to provide a day of pampering for 10 women who are currently battling, or have survived, breast cancer. Nominations are being accepted online at www.colts.com/pink through October 8. Ten finalists will then be selected to receive a day of pampering from Tyler Mason Salon & Spa, as well as dinner with Colts players at Indianapolis Colts Grille on Tuesday, October 15.
Individuals who have a special woman in their life who has survived breast cancer or is currently battling the disease are encouraged to visit www.colts.com/pink to submit a nomination.
SPECIAL EDITION COLTS BREAST CANCER AWARENESS T-SHIRTS
The Indianapolis Colts Women’s Organization will be selling special edition Colts e t-shirts during the month of October and will donate all proceeds to the IU Simon Cancer Center. The t-shirts are gray and feature a pink Colts horseshoe on the front. They are $20 each and will be sold at the team’s “Pinking of the Canal” event on October 4, as well as their October 6 game versus the Seattle Seahawks. At the game, the t-shirts will be available in the American Family Insurance Touchdown Town, on Lucas Oil Plaza inside the north end of the stadium, and near sections 117 and 143 on the main concourse.
The Indianapolis Colts Women’s Organization is comprised of Colts female staff as well as wives of staff, coaches and players. The Organization plans monthly service projects during the season and supports a variety of charities including School on Wheels and D.R.E.A.M. Alive, Inc.