In an effort to make the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday travel period safer, Southern Indiana Law Enforcement Agencies will be joining hundreds of other law enforcement agencies statewide in participating in the annual “Safe Family Travel Campaign”. The campaign began Friday, November 8th, and will continue through Sunday, December 1st. Law Enforcement will be conducting high visibility enforcement efforts including sobriety check points and saturation patrols targeting impaired drivers and unrestrained motorists.
In Indiana, more than 50 percent of fatalities in auto crashes are due to passengers who did not buckle up. In November 2012, there were 355 alcohol-related crashes across Indiana resulting in 155 injuries and 5 fatalities.
Please help do your part to make the Thanksgiving Holiday travel period safe by observing the following safety rules:
– If you are planning to travel make sure you are well rested, a fatigued driver is a dangerous driver.
– Avoid tailgating; remember the two-second rule.
– Make sure everyone is buckled up.
– Put down the electronic devices and drive.
– Don’t Drink and Drive.
– Move Over and Slow Down for emergency and highway service vehicles.