A day that started with heat being the issued turning into a night of no snaps on the gridiron as a line of thunderstorms forced many high school football games to be delayed until Saturday and others delayed to later Friday night.
The Salem match against the Mitchell Bluejackets, a game seven years in the making, was postponed three different times before finally be scheduled for Saturday morning at 10a.
SHS Athletic Director Hank Weedin said earlier in the evening they were prepared for a 10p start time if needed to get the game in.
However, about 9:15p, the evening was called off as more storms moved through on a line running from the west to the east.
The game will be broadcast on WSLM 97.9 FM beginning at 9:45a with a pre-game show and the kickoff at 10a.
The West Washington and Eastern Musketeer game had been postponed earlier in the week due to the heat.
The National Weather Service issued an alert to WSLM earlier Friday that a heat warning was in effect for the Kentuckiana area until Monday at 7p.
West Washington Athletic Director Phillip Bowsman had contacted Eastern earlier in the week and moved the start time from 7p to 8p to avoid the late evening heat.
The game will be broadcast beginning at 9:30a with a pre-game show on WSLM 1220 AM.
Here is a list of Saturday start times from around the region:
- Doss-PRP – 11 a.m.
- Eastern at Jeffersontown – 10 a.m.
- Manual at Central – 7:30 p.m.
- Christian Academy at Lexington Christian – TBD
- DeSales at Holy Cross – 7 p.m.
- Springs Valley at Silver Creek – 7 p.m.
- Ballard at St. Xavier – 11 a.m.
- Southern at Moore – 10 a.m.
- Butler at Fern Creek – 8 p.m.
- New Albany at Providence – 10 a.m.
- Mitchell at Salem – 10 a.m.
- Eastern (Pekin) at West Washington 10 a.m.