Kent Abernathy, Commissioner of the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), announced today that BMV license branches located in counties that have May 2015 elections will extend hours of operation on Monday, May 4 and on Tuesday, May 5 to issue ID cards and driver’s licenses that may be used for identification at a polling place. Branches in counties that have May 2015 elections will be open on Monday, May 4, from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Tuesday, May 5, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
These license branches will only process new, amended or replacement ID cards, and renewed, amended or replacement driver’s licenses and learner permits.
The Indiana BMV provides free, state-issued ID cards for voting purposes to any unlicensed Hoosier, as long as he or she can provide proper documentation and will be at least 18 years of age on or before the next General or Municipal Election. The following documents are required to obtain a new state ID card or driver’s license (a complete list can be found at www.myBMV.com).
- Proof of Identity document, such as a birth certificate or passport.
- Proof of Social Security document, such as a Social Security card, pay stub or W-2.
- Proof of lawful status, such as a birth certificate or passport.
- Proof of residency, two documents such as a voter registration card, utility bill or bank statement.
There are 20 Indiana counties that do not have elections on Tuesday, May 5. Therefore, the following license branches located in these counties will not operate for extended hours and will be closed onTuesday, May 5 in observance of the state Election Day holiday:
Bluffton (Wells), LaGrange (LaGrange), Corydon (Harrison), Nashville (Brown), Decatur (Adams), Tipton (Tipton), Greensburg (Decatur), Monticello (White), Washington (Daviess), Morocco (Newton), Williamsport (Warren), Fowler, (Benton), Spencer (Owen), Liberty (Union), Vevay (Switzerland), Rockville (Parke), Winamac (Pulaski), Rushville (Rush), English (Crawford), Poseyville (Posey), Mount Vernon (Posey).
All license branches will resume regular business hours on Wednesday, May 6.
Municipal Primary 2011
- Monday, May 2, 2011: 842 Credential Transactions
- Tuesday, May 3, 2011: 3,201 Credential Transactions
Municipal General 2011
- Monday, Nov. 7, 2011: 2,974 Credential Transactions
- Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011: 5,618 Credential Transactions
Midterm Primary 2014
- Monday, May 5, 2014: 1,481 Credential Transactions
- Tuesday, May 6, 2014: 3,878 Credential Transactions
Midterm General 2014
- Monday, Nov. 3, 2014: 2,044 Credential Transactions
- Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2014: 4,511 Credential Transactions