The WNBA Atlanta Dream announced today that it will hold a luncheon for its Inspiring Women E.N.E.R.G.Y. Seminar Series presented by The Coca-Cola Company on Thursday, May 21, from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Ky.
The topic for the luncheon will be “The Future of Women in Sports Leadership” and will feature an impressive array of panelists, many of whom will be in Louisville for the Atlanta Dream Classic – a doubleheader of WNBA games to take place on May 23 at the KFC Yum! Center. Headlining the lineup is former University of Louisville All-American and Olympic Gold Medalist Angel McCoughtry, currently of the Atlanta Dream, as well as another former U of L standout, Jude Schimmel, who just completed her career with the Cardinals and will be signing copies of her new book, “Dreamcatcher”.
Other panelists include Kara Lawson, currently of the Washington Mystics and a basketball analyst for ESPN, as well as another former Olympic Gold Medalist; Anne Donovan, head coach of the Connecticut Sun; Angela Taylor, President and General Manager of the Atlanta Dream; and Christine Herring, Senior Woman Administrator/Assistant Athletic Director at the University of Louisville. The event will be moderated by ESPN and FOX Sports basketball analyst LaChina Robinson. The event will also include a recorded video interview with Atlanta Dream owners Mary Brock and Kelly Loeffler.
“The Atlanta Dream is proud to showcase our Inspiring Women E.N.E.R.G.Y. Seminar Series with this event in Louisville,” said Taylor. “This will be a great opportunity to learn from an accomplished panel of women with a broad range of viewpoints on the direction women’s sports are headed. We are pleased to add this to the programming surrounding the Atlanta Dream Classic, and we know that the folks at the KFC Yum! Center will help us put on an outstanding event.”
The Inspiring Women E.N.E.R.G.Y. Seminar Series, which is also sponsored by the Marriott Atlanta Marquis, Cooper Global, SpeedPro Imaging and Georgia Lottery, focuses on personal and professional development for women, targeting college level, young professionals and executive level women.
The E.N.E.R.G.Y. Seminar Series is a central component of the Dream’s Inspiring Women platform, which supports the team’s objective to empower women. The platform is built on six key components:
- Empowering – Identifying topics that resonate with women in Corporate America such as career mapping and providing platforms to gain more knowledge on same
- Networking – Providing forums for women and men to connect with and learn from other like-minded colleagues
- Engaging – Hosting events that allow our community to engage with one another and celebrate inspiring women as well as serve as a culmination of our recognition, networking and empowering activities
- Recognizing – Identifying and showcasing women and girls who have positively impacted others through their deeds and accomplishments
- Growing – Providing growth opportunities for all people who interact with the initiative whether it be on a personal or professional level
- Year-Round – Emphasizing visibility and action 365 days a year
The three-time Eastern Conference Champion Atlanta Dream opens its eighth season in the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) on June 5 at New York, with the home opener slated for Sunday, June 7 at 3 p.m. ET vs. the Connecticut Sun. The Dream, which plays its home games at Philips Arena, has qualified for the playoffs in each of the past six seasons, winning conference titles in 2013, 2011 and 2010. Season and single-game tickets for the 2015 season can be purchased by calling (877) 977-7729 or visiting www.AtlantaDream.net.