Indiana wrapped up day one of the IU Winter Invitational going 5-1 in singles play and 4-2 in doubles matches.
In singles, four of the five Indiana victories came in straight sets. Madison Appel downed Wright State’s Taylor Culbertson, 7-5, 6-1 as IU’s Paula Gutierrez took care of WSU’s Karoline Haller in consecutive sets, 6-2, 6-4.
Senior Sarah McLean defeated Vanessa Madrigal of WSU, 6-1, 6-3. Sarah Baron also picked up an Indiana straight-set triumph over Wright’s Elaine Cohen, 6-1, 6-2. Indiana’s Danielle Wolf split her first two sets against WSU’s Tori Turner before outlasting Turner in the third-set tiebreak, 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8).
In doubles action, the Indiana duo of Kim Schmider and Natalie Whalen went a perfect 2-0 on the day. Other IU doubles pairs getting a win included McLean and Appel as well as Gutierrez and Wolf.
Day two of the IU Winter Invite will get started on Sunday, Jan. 17 at 10:30 a.m. ET inside the IU Tennis Center.
IU Winter Invitational
Jan. 16-18, 2016
- Madison Appel (IU) def. Taylor Culbertson (WSU) 7-5, 6-1
- Paula Guiterrez (IU) def. Karoline Haller (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Linsey Verstrepen (WSU) def. Kim Schmider (IU) 2-6, 6-4, 11-9
- Sarah McLean (IU) def. Vanessa Madrigal (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Sarah Baron (IU) def. Elaine Cohen (WSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Danielle Wolf (IU) def. Tori Turner (WSU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-8
- McLean/Appel (IU) def. Culbertson/Turner (WSU) 6-1
- Schmider/Whalen (IU) def. Madrigal/Madrigal (WSU) 6-0
- Cloern/Brdicka (WSU) def. Gutierrez/Wolf (IU) 6-1
2nd Round (Winners Side)
- Pothier/Hermsdorf (ACU) def. McLean/Appel (IU) 6-4
- Schmider/Whalen (IU) def. Walker/Williams (ACU)
2nd Round (Consolation Side)
- Gutierrez/Wolf (IU) def. Henry/Crook (ACU) 6-4