Eleven county seats are up for election this year and party’s will nominate their candidate during the upcoming May 3 Primary.
Those seeking to run in the upcoming election have until Friday, Feb. 5 to file.
Voters have until Monday, April 4 to register to vote.
Those seeks the seat for United States Representative 9th Dist. are:
- (R) Robert Hall
- (R) Brent Waltz
- (D) Bill Thomas
- (D) Shelli Yoder
Nobody has filed yet for the State Representative Dist. 73 seat which is currently held by Salem’s Steve Davisson (R).
Incumbent (R) Larry W. Medlock has filed to seek another term as Judge of the Circuit Court.
Judge of the Superior Court has one filing, (R) Frank Newkirk, Jr. who will be seeking another term.
Clerk of the Circuit Court has one filing, (D) Rita Martin
(D) Shirley Batt has filed to run as the Democrat candidate for County Treasurer
Nobody has filed yet for the office of County Coroner. Rondale Brishaber currently holds the office.
(R) Jeffrey D. Souder has filed to continue to serve as County Surveyor
County Commissioner – Dist. 1 [Gibson-Franklin-Polk-Jackson] has one filing, incumbent (R) Phillip D. (Phil) Marshall.
There is no filing yet for County Commissioner – Dist. 3 [Brown-Vernon-Madison-Howard-Posey]. David Brown currently has the office.
All three County Council members at large are up for re-election — Todd Ewen, Gerald Fleming Sr and Jonathan Spaulding hold the offices currently. Only Ewen has currently filed to seek another term.
Also on the ballot for the Spring primary will be Republican Precinct Committee persons in Salem 1, Salem 2, Salem 3 and Salem 4, as well as Washington 1-4 and these townships – Brown, Franklin, Gibson, Howard, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Pierce, Polk, Posey and Vernon.
Other positions on the May ballott will be:
- State Convention Delegate – Democrat At Large (vote for 8 plus 1 automatic bid for Co. Chair = 9 total)
- State Convention Delegate – Republican (total of 10)
- At Large (vote for four (4) )
- Dist. 1 (vote for 2) – Franklin, Gibson, Jackson & Polk
- Dist. 2 (vote for 2) – Jefferson, Monroe, Pierce, Salem-1, Salem-2, Salem-3,
- Salem-4, Wash-1, Wash-2, Wash-3 & Wash-4
- Dist. 3 (vote for 2) – Brown, Howard, Madison, Posey & Vernon
Looking ahead to November 6, here are the offices that will be voted on locally, including seats on all three school boards.
- State Representative Dist. #73
- Judge of the Circuit Court
- Judge of the Superior Court
- Clerk of the Circuit Court
- County Treasurer
- County Coroner
- County Surveyor
- County Commissioner – Dist. 1
- County Commissioner – Dist. 3
- County Council Member – At Large (3 Positions)
East Washington School Corp.
- Polk Township
- Town of Pekin
Salem Community Schools
- Four At Large seats which are currently being held by Mark “Bubba” Abbott, Diana Armstrong, Erika Garloch and Steve Motsinger.
West Washington School Corp.
- Madison Twp.
- Posey Twp.
- Vernon Twp.
Town of Campbellsburg: Town Council Member
Town of New Pekin: Town Council Member
Washington County voters will also be voting for national and state candidates in November:
- President of the United States and Vice President
- United States Senator
- United States Representative
- Governor and Lt. Governor
- Attorney General
- Superintendent of Public Instruction