After a steady decline in the number of influenza cases over the past several weeks, St. Vincent, a member of Ascension, the nation’s largest Catholic and not-for-profit health system, is lifting its temporary visitor restrictions effective April 13, 2016.
Regular hospital visitation policies will resume.
“While visit restrictions can be inconvenient, they are also crucial to providing the safest possible environment for our patients, associates and affiliates,” said Dr. Richard Fogel, chief clinical officer at St. Vincent. “We deeply appreciate the cooperation shown by our patient families over the past several weeks.”
Upon the recommendation of the Indianapolis Coalition for Patient Safety – an organization comprised of chief executive, medical, nursing, quality, safety and pharmacy officers from six Indianapolis health systems – St. Vincent initially enacted its temporary patient visitation policy on March 11.
Despite the number of influenza cases leveling off, Indiana residents should continue to heed the following recommendations to prevent the spread of illnesses:
- Stay home from work, school, travel, and social gatherings for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or other necessities.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching one’s eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid kissing, hugging and sharing cups or eating utensils with people who are sick.
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs, especially if someone is sick.
The temporary restriction initially put in place last month will be lifted at the following St. Vincent locations:
- Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent
- St. Vincent Anderson
- St. Vincent Carmel
- St. Vincent Clay
- St. Vincent Dunn
- St. Vincent Fishers
- St. Vincent Frankfort
- St. Vincent Heart Center
- St. Vincent Indianapolis
- St. Vincent Jennings
- St. Vincent Kokomo
- St. Mary’s Health
- St. Vincent Mercy
- St. Vincent Randolph
- St. Vincent Salem
- St. Vincent Seton Specialty Hospital
- St. Vincent Stress Center
- St. Vincent Williamsport
- St. Vincent Women’s