Edna K. Schmidt, age 86, passed away May 12, 2016 at her home. She was born July 3, 1929 in Detroit, Michigan to the late Clarence and Theresa Mahoney Gates. Besides her parents she was preceded in death by two brothers, Jimmy and Clarence Gates.
In 1950, she married John C. (Callie) Schmidt and they were married 65 years. Together they opened a family business, with other family members, Schmidt Cabinet Co., Inc. In the early 70’s they built the New Salisbury Golf Course which was open 44 years. She loved gardening and had many beautiful daylilies throughout the years. She was very family oriented and loved nothing better than being with her children, grandchildren, great grandson, her siblings and their children and all her cousins. She joined the Catholic Church at age 18 and was a devote catholic and member of St. Bernard’s Catholic Church.
She is survived by her husband, Callie of New Salisbury, IN
- Daughter: Jonni Schmidt of New Salisbury, IN
- Son: Jeff Schmidt (Sandy) of New Salisbury, IN
- Grandchildren: Jennifer Vermillion of Louisville, KY
- Tony Beavers (Allison) of New Salisbury, IN
- Ryan Schmidt of New Albany, IN
- Ross Schmidt of New Albany, IN
- 1 Great Grandson: Gavin Vermillion of Louisville, KY
- Sister: Nadine Gates Crecelius (Marvin) of Okeechobee, FL
- Brother: Jack Gates (Melva) of Dallas, TX
- Multiple cousins, nieces, and nephews
Edna was cared for at home by her family and loving support of her caregivers: Wanda Patton, Linda Newburn, Julia Bosler, Jennifer Gibson, Peggy McDaniels, Joyce Shutters, Janet Alton, Janie Whittaker and Susan Graves. We are truly grateful for their help and support during this difficult time.
There will be no visitation but there will be a Procession leaving at 3:00 PM, Monday, May 16, 2016 from Swarens Funeral Home to the Marengo Cemetery for a Graveside Service. Following the service, a Celebration of Life and dinner will be held at St. Bernard’s Catholic Church. All family and friends are invited to attend both and to share their memories at the dinner.
In lei of flowers the family requested that donations be made to St. Joseph’s Catholic School, 510 N. Mulberry St., Corydon, IN 47112.