There have been some pre-fair activities the last couple of weeks, but the Washington County Fair gets into full swing this weekend with the annual Baby Contest and the Parade.
Rides are being set up at the fairgrounds and improvements are being made to make this one of the best fairs yet, according to Washington County Fair Board President Tony Nolan.
The baby contest will be Saturday, June 17 at the Bradie M. Shrum Elementary School.
Registration is at Noon with the contest getting underway at 1p.
This year’s theme reflects the theme of the fair – “The Wonderful World of Food and Family.”
The entry fee is $6 per child. Admission is $4.
There are 14 categories, including:
- 0-6 Months, Boys and Girls
- 7-12 Months, Boys and Girls
- 13-18 Months, Boys and Girls
- 19-24 Months, Boys and Girls
- 25-30 Months, Boys and Girls
- 31-60 Months, Boys and Girls
- Multiples, Boys and Girls
Contact Superintendent Becky White at 812.620.7271 for additional information.
The fair parade will be Sunday afternoon June 18. Registration starts at Noon and the parade gets underway at 3p.
Entry categories include Business, Organization (Not 4H), 4H Clubs, Vehicles, Fire Trucks, Tractors, Non-Motorized Vehicles, Musical Entry, both walking and riding, Advertising and Horses.
Contact Stacy Gilbert at 812.620.6029 or Shelly Smith at 812.620.1419 for additional information.
Two events have been affected by he flooding – the 4H Horse and Pony Show was moved to a new location last weekend. The Truck and Tractor pull was postponed until Sept. 2.
Additionally, two grandstand events will be moving to the Salem Middle School — the Queen contest and Teen Pageant on Monday and Tuesday nights.
Racing will take up the rest of the week at the grandstand, on a newly renovated track.
Steve and Misty Leonard took over operation of the track back in the spring and have been working to get it ready for the fair events.
Wednesday night of the fair will feature racing beginning at 7p, a mini-car derby on Thursday night, mud bogs on Friday and the all-famous demo derby on Saturday night.
There will be lots of free entertainment at the top of the hill and themed days during the morning hours, including Senior Citizens Day on Tuesday, Kids’ Day on Wednesday and the 4-H Jamboree of Fun on Friday.
Here is the complete schedule of the 2017 Washington County Farmers and Merchants Fair:
Saturday, June 3
- 8:30-10a – Weigh-in Open Sheep
- 11a-4p – Lamb BBQ-Fajitas
- 12:30p – Open Sheep Show
Saturday, June 10
- Morning – Open Dairy Show, Southern Indiana (Black and White Show)
- 6:30p – Truck and Tractor Pull (Driver’s Meeting 6p)
Sunday, June 11
- 4p – 4-H Horse and Pony Show
Friday, June 16
- 5-8p – 4-H Project Check In – Non-Perishable 4-H Project Check-In and Open Judging
Saturday, June 17
- 8:30-Noon – Enter Open Class Non-Perishable Entries in Exhibit Hall, which include: Antiques, Art, Canning, Family Stitchery and Crafts, Photography, Scrapbooking and Woodworking.
- 9a-Noon – All mini-4-H Judging; Perishable Regular 4-H project check-in/open judging of Foods, Garden, Crops, Floriculture, Cake Decorating and Microwave).
- 1:00 p.m. — Baby Contest at Bradie Shrum School (Registration at 12:00 p.m.) Theme: “The Wonderful World of Food & Family” Entry Fee: $6.00; Admission: $4.00
- 1-3p – 4-H Rabbit and Poultry Check-in
Sunday, June 18
- Afternoon 3:00 p.m. — Fair Parade “The Wonderful World of Food & Family”
- (Registration starts at 12:00 p.m.)
- Evening 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. — 4-H Building Open House
- 5:00 p.m. — 4-H & Open Class Poultry Show
- 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. — 4-H Livestock Check-in
Monday, June 19
- 8:00 – 10:00 a.m. — 4-H Livestock Check-in
- 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. — Enter Open Class Perishable Entries at Exhibit Hall: Baking, Farm Products, Floriculture, Garden Products, Gourds
- 5:00 – 9:00 p.m. — Beef BBQ by Wash. Co. Cattlemen’s Association
- 6:00 p.m. — Brady Amusements Open
- 6:00 p.m. — Open Class Exhibit Hall & Commercial Buildings Open
- 6:00 p.m. — 4-H Sheep Show
- 8:00 p.m. — Free Entertainment: Brian Hutson, Gospel Singer, sponsored by the West Washington County Fellowship of Christian Churches.
- Salem Middle School: 8:00 p.m. — Queen Pageant Admission: Adults $7.00; Children 6-12 $4.00
Tuesday, June 20
- 8:00 a.m. — Cinnamon Rolls & Drinks by Washington County Sheep Association
- 10:00 a.m. — Senior Citizens Program Begins at Shelter House 10:00 a.m. — 4-H Goat Show
- 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. — Lamb BBQ/Fajitas by Washington County Sheep Association Evening
- 5:00 p.m. — 4-H Dairy Beef Show followed by 4-H County Born & Raised Beef Show
- 7:00 p.m. — Free Entertainment: Scott Greeson
- Salem Middle School: 8:00 p.m. — Teen Pageant Admission: Adults $7.00; Children 6-12 $4.00
Wednesday, June 21
- “Kids’ Day” – 10 a.m. – “Smoke Free” Sponsored by Mid-Southern Savings Bank
- 8:00 a.m. — 4-H Swine Show
- 10:00 a.m. — Kid’s Day Activities Begin
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. — Beef BBQ by Washington County Cattlemen’s Association
- 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. — Brady Amusements Open Evening
- 4:00 – 9:00 p.m. — Beef BBQ by Washington County Cattlemen’s Association
- 7:00 p.m. — 4-H Night and Fashion Revue Judging (at the Show Barn)
- 7:30 p.m. — Free Entertainment: BMX Bicycles
- At the Grandstand: 7:00 p.m. — Races; Hornets, Pure Stocks, Modifi eds, MMSA Sprints, Mini Stocks/Pro-Trucks Track Gates open 4:00 p.m.; Driver’s Meeting 6:00 p.m.; Hot Laps 6:30 p.m. Admission: Adults $7.00; Children 6-12 $4.00; Pit Passes $30.00
Thursday, June 22
- 10:00 a.m. — 4-H Dairy Show
- 11:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. — Pork BBQ by Wash. Co. Pork Producers Evening
- 5:00 p.m. — 4-H Beef Show
- 7:00 p.m. — Free Entertainment: “Classic Country”
- At the Grandstand: 7:00 p.m. — Mini Car Derby with Power Wheels Prior Inspection starts at 5:00 p.m. Admission: Adults $7.00; Children 6-12 $4.00; Pit Passes $20.00; Car & Driver $50.00
Friday, June 23
- 9:00 a.m. — Color Me Green Dash
- 10:00 a.m. — 4-H Jamboree of Fun Evening
- 5:00 – 9:00 p.m. — Pork BBQ by Wash. Co. Pork Producers
- 6:00 p.m. — Ag Hall of Fame Dinner (held in livestock barn). Tickets required (812-883-4601). All farmers and agri-business men and women invited.
- 7:00 p.m. — 4-H Supreme Showmanship followed by Parade of Grand Champions
- 7:30 p.m. — Free Entertainment: Greg Rhodes
- 11:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m. — 4-H Livestock (Non-Auction/NonMarket) Released (NO EARLY RELEASE)
- At the Grandstand: 7:00 p.m. — Mud Bogs (Tech Time 4-6 p.m.) Washington County Only Class added Admission: Adults $7.00; Children 6-12 $4.00; Pit Passes $20.00
Saturday, June 24
- 6:00 – 8:00 a.m. — 4-H Livestock (Non-Auction/Non-Market) Released
- 9:30 a.m. — 4-H Livestock Auction Evening After
- 4:00 p.m. till 5:30 p.m. – All Species Barn Clean-Up 6:00 p.m. — 4-H Dog Exhibition
- 6:00 p.m. — Free Entertainment: “Sparkles & Spurs”
- 6:00 p.m. — 4-H Project Release
- At the Grandstand: 7:00 p.m. — Demolition Derby Inspection starts at 3:00 p.m.; Registration starts at 5:00 p.m. Admission: Adults $7.00; Children 6-12 $4.00; Pit Passes $20.00; Car & Driver $50.00 Participant and Helpers only in pit area
Sunday, June 25
- 12:00 – 6:00 p.m. — Commercial Exhibits Released
- 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. — Release All Open Class Exhibits. Open Class Premium Money also awarded at this time. Fair Association cannot be responsible for exhibits left after this time.
Monday, June 26
- 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. — Projects Released
Saturday, July 8
- 9:00 a.m. — Open Class & Approved Quarter Horse Show