Includes James Beard Award and Top Chef Winners to Kick Off Derby Weekend with Flavors from Across the Nation
LOUISVILLE, Ky., May 2, 2018 – The ninth annual Taste of Derby presented by Angry Orchard will kick off the 144th Derby weekend with delicious culinary experiences from award-winning chefs from across the U.S. The event takes place on Thursday, May 3, 2018 at the KFC Yum! Center and includes James Beard award-winners, Top Chef Alumni and chefs from the top-rated restaurants in the country.
Each year, a selection of renowned chefs from America’s horse racing regions come together to delight Taste of Derby guests with regional specialties, exquisite wine and live music. The evening also features the Sullivan University Future Chef Showdown, during which local culinary students compete for a scholarship.
Taste of Derby raises funds and awareness for hunger relief organizations. To date, more than $820,000 has been contributed to hunger relief locally and around the country in regions where participating chefs are located.
Dare to Care Food Bank will return again as the beneficiary of this year’s event.
Featured chefs include:
- Top Chef All Star Dale Talde of Talde Brooklyn & West Palm Beach
- Churchill Downs Executive Chef David Danielson
- Youngest Pastry Chef in the U.S. with a Michelin Star, Ian Gresik of The Arbour Pasadena
- French Master Chef Jean-Robert de Cavel of jr’s table in Cincinnati
- Rising Star Chef Josh Thomsen of The Grove Park Inn
- Top Chef Season 12 Alum Joy Crump of Foode in Fredricksburg, VA
- James Beard award-wining chef Justin Devilllier of Petite Grocery NOLA
- Top Chef Alum Kevin Gillespie of Gunshow in Atlanta
- Levon Wallace of Gray & Dudley at the 21c in Nashville
- Current James Beard Semifinalist Matt McClure of 21c Bentonville
- Fredo Nogueira of Cane & Table in New Orleans, LA, one of Esquire Magazines Best Restaurants 2016
- 2017 James Beard Finalist Tiffani Faison Walsh of Tiger Mama in Boston
- Currently a contender on Iron Chef Gauntlet, Timon Balloo of Sugarcane Miami, Vegas and Brooklyn
- Best Restaurant in the US Commander’s Palace Chef, Tory McPhaill
- Rising Star Chef Victor Scargle of Atelier by JCB, Napa
For a full list of participating chefs, tickets or to learn more about the event, visit https://www.kentuckyderby.com/visit/derby-week/taste-of-derby.