Nine teens were involved in a late night accident on Saturday in Cortland, killing four and sending the rest to regional hospitals.
Saturday night at approx 11:07 pm, a1992 Chevrolet Suburban driven by Cara Selby, 37, of rural Seymour was driving westbound on SR 258 when the vehicle broke down a block from their home.
The family was having a slumber birthday party for a daughter and the juveniles came out to push the vehicle to the house when they were struck from behind by a 2018 Chevrolet Traverse driven by Elizabeth M Watson age 24, of Seymour.
- Nevaeh Law, 14, of Brownstown was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Jenna A Helton, 14, of Seymour was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Brittany D Watson, 15, of Brownstown was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Martin Martinez, 16, of Seymour flown by helicopter to Methodist Hospital and was pronounced dead on arrival.
- Victoria Valdivia, 15, of Seymour. She was the daughter of Selby. She was injured and flown to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Courtney Arthur female, 14, was injured and flown to Riley Childrens Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Allerika Henline, 15, of Brownstown was injured and flown to Nortons of Louisville.
- Victoria Burchard, 15, of Medora injured transported to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour. She was treated and released.
- Starlit Watson, 12, of Brownstown riding in vehicle with Selby. She was injured and transported to Schneck Medical by Jackson County Ambulance treated and released.
The investigation is continuing . Anyone who may have witnessed the vehicle being pushed by the children is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 812-358-2141.
Investigation by Officers Jackson County Sheriff’s Dept.
Assisted by Reserve Officers Jackson County Sheriff’s Dept., Brownstown Police Dept, Seymour Police, Hamilton Township Fire Dept., Seymour Fire Dept, Jackson County Ambulance, Columbus Regional Hospital Ambulance and air service by – PHI Stat Flight and AirMethods