Clark County’s Prosecutor says a Clarksville Police Officer was justified in shooting on Friday, April 26 that killed a Clarksville man.

Max David Helton, 43, of 514 Howard Street in Clarksville was shot last Friday evening. 

An autopsy conducted by the Jefferson County, Kentucky Coroner’s Office listed the cause of death as a gunshot wound to the chest. 

Clark County Prosecutor Jeremy Mull reviewed the investigation conducted by detectives from the Indiana State Police in Sellersburg and advised the officer was justified in using deadly force against Max Helton and that no charges would be filed. 

The officer was been identified as Patrolman Tyler Ash of the Clarksville Police Department.  Patrolman Ash is a two year veteran of the department. 

The review concluded that Officer Ash properly used deadly force after Helton pointed a firearm at the officer and after being instructed multiple times to drop the weapon.

At approximately 10:30p last Friday evening, Officers from the Clarksville Police Department were dispatched to the residence located at 514 West Howard Street after receiving a 911 call for a domestic disturbance, possibly involving a gun.  State Troopers from the Sellersburg Post also responded to assist.

As a result of the preliminary investigation, ISP detectives believed that officers from the Clarksville Police Department and Indiana State Police arrived on-scene shortly after receiving the 911 call.  

During the investigation, officers witnessed a male subject with a gun at the doorway, the man then retreated into the house and barricaded himself and the original caller inside the residence. 

As the investigation continued, officers once again encountered the subject who was still brandishing a handgun. 

The subject refused commands to drop the weapon, and at least one officer from the Clarksville Police Department fired upon the subject and struck him. 

Officers then rendered first-aid to the subject who was transported to the University of Louisville Hospital where he later died from his injuries. 

Chief Mark Palmer of the Clarksville Police Department requested the assistance of ISP detectives and crime scene technicians to investigate the shooting.  

Units from the Indiana State Police were assisted by the Clarksville Police Department and the Jefferson County, Kentucky Coroner’s Office.