Last night at approximately 11:35, Trooper Daltyn Backes was patrolling in the area of the Lloyd Expressway and St. Joseph Avenue when he spotted a Jeep with expired registration.
Trooper Backes attempted to stop the vehicle on Ray Becker Parkway near Ohio Street.
The vehicle stopped just south of Ohio Street, but when Trooper Backes exited his vehicle the driver started to travel southwest on Ray Becker Parkway at approximately 45 mph and refused to stop.
The driver of the vehicle continued south on Barker Avenue after disregarding a red light and then turned east on Dennison Street before stopping at a dead-end and fleeing on foot.
After a brief search, an Evansville Police K-9 unit located and arrested the driver without further incident.
The driver was identified as Kevin Washington, 29, of Evansville. Further investigation revealed Washington had never received a valid driver’s license and he was driving while impaired.
Washington was taken to the Vanderburgh County Jail where he is currently being held on bond.
Arrested and Charges:
- Kevin Washington, 29, Evansville, IN
- Resisting Law Enforcement with a Vehicle, Class 6 Felony
- Resisting Law Enforcement, Class C Misdemeanor
- Driving While Suspended Prior, Class A Misdemeanor
- Driving a Motor Vehicle without ever receiving a Driver’s License, Class C Misdemeanor
- Driving While Intoxicated-Refusal, Class C Misdemeanor
Arresting Officer: Trooper Daltyn Backes, Indiana State Police
Assisting Officer: Trooper Zack Fulton, Indiana State Police
Assisting Agency: Evansville Police