Outdoor activities, and travel to and from those activities, are still permitted. This includes hiking, biking, fishing, boating, birding, hunting, camping, geocaching and other self-directed legal activities. Hoosiers should practice social distancing while participating in these activities. It is important that you know before you go.
Hunting and fishing licenses
All 2019-2020 basic hunting, basic fishing, hunt/fish combo, youth licenses and stamps set to expire March 31, 2020, will be valid for use until Friday, May 22, 2020. Please maintain a printed or electronic copy with you while hunting/fishing. If you do not have a valid 2019 – 2020 annual license or stamp, a new 2020 -2021 annual license will be needed. For the upcoming 2020 spring wild turkey season, hunters will need a 2020 spring turkey license and valid game bird habitat stamp. Licenses can be purchased by visiting the Indiana Fish & Wildlife Online License System, open authorized license vendors, or calling the Indiana DNR Customer Service Center at 877-463-6367, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
All DNR properties including state parks, state forests, fish and wildlife areas, nature preserves and state recreation areas.
Entrance fees at all properties have been temporarily suspended.
Families will be able to go outside and take a walk, run or bike ride, but they should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people. Entrance fees at properties have been temporarily suspended.
- Campgrounds – OPEN but advance reservations are required. No walk-in camping (camping without a reservation) is permitted. For those who would prefer to cancel or reschedule due to COVID-19, we are committed to waiving fees for cancellations or transfers of reservations and to issuing refunds as requested for campsites held through April 30, 2020. This time frame may be extended as the COVID-19 status evolves.
- Indiana DNR-managed lakes, trails, campgrounds, boat ramps and wildlife areas at Brookville, J.E. Roush, Salamonie, Mississinewa, Cecil M. Harden (Raccoon SRA), Cagles Mill (Lieber SRA), Patoka and Monroe lakes remain OPEN. However, public facilities managed directly by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at or below the dams at these lakes (tailwater areas, observation mounds, etc.) are CLOSED.
- Vault toilets and modern restrooms where available are OPEN. Campground comfort stations will be OPENED on our normal schedule as spring progresses and property use changes. Contact properties directly for specific information. Open restrooms are cleaned and sanitized regularly.
- Unstaffed archery ranges – OPEN.
- The Fort Golf Course at Fort Harrison State Park is OPEN with limited hours. Tee times are available from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Pro Shop and Garrison are closed with no public access. Payment and reservations can only be made by phone at 317-543-9597. Walking only, no carts, rakes or flags. Please practice social distancing during play. Portable restrooms will be cleaned daily.
- All property offices – CLOSED.
- Passes and permits can be purchased online at ShopINStateparks.com. Property maps are available online. Office contact information will be provided on doors for those who have specific questions.
- State park inns and restaurants – CLOSED.
- Family cabins and camper cabins – CLOSED.
- Playgrounds, fire towers, and other similar facilities – CLOSED.
- Welcome Centers, Nature Centers, Historic Buildings and Visitor Centers, Forest Education Centers – CLOSED.
- Shooting ranges – CLOSED.
- Shelters, recreation buildings, and other enclosed picnic areas – CLOSED.
- State Park Inn pools and the aquatic center at Abe Martin Lodge – CLOSED.
- All group camps, youth tent and rally tent areas – CLOSED.
- The DNR Customer Service Center in downtown Indianapolis is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC but is still available by telephone.
- All indoor and outdoor public programs and special events are postponed through April 30. There will be virtual programming added through social media; watch the DNR calendar for details and times.
- All fishing tournaments on DNR owned/operated properties – CANCELED THROUGH APRIL 30.
- All fishing tournaments that require a permit through DNR, even if they are not on DNR owned/operated property – CANCELED THROUGH APRIL 6.