Property Taxes are still due May 11, according to Washington County Treasurer Shirley Batt.
However, the State of Indiana has granted a 60-day waiver of late fees so the spring installment can be paid anytime up until the spring installment may be paid up to and including July 10, 2020, without penalty due to the Coronavirus Pandemic.
Batt said the courthouse is still closed to the public until further notice.
“We will have no in-person contact,” said Batt. “Only 2 essential employees will be in the office to answer phone calls or emails. As events change, we will update on Facebook and through the local media.”
Batt said partial tax payments will be accepted.
“Include parcel number or duplicate number when making a partial payment,” she said. “This is the only way we can identify properly to post the payment.”
To get a receipt for your payment, include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return.
Batt also asks that taxpayers check to see if their payment has been posted.
Batt said people can go to washingtoncounty88.us, click on TREASURER, then on left choose PROPERTY TAX INFORMATION.
“On the next screen, you may search by name, property address or parcel number. Search by last name. This will provide a list of parcels. Click on the parcel you want to research and scroll to the bottom of the page. Once payment posted a receipt number and date will show for payment made,” explained Batt.
The State of Indiana has granted a 60 Day waiver of penalties for late property tax payments.E.O. #20-005 states as follows in Section 6, Paragraph B:
Property taxes remain due on May 11, 2020, however counties are to waive penalties on payments made after May 11, 2020, for a period of 60 days. This waiver does not apply to tax payments which have been escrowed by financial institutions on behalf of property taxpayers.
Hence, each county shall waive any penalties for any property taxes paid within sixty (60) days after the statutory deadline; therefore, the spring installment may be paid up to and including July 10, 2020, without penalty. However, taxpayers are encouraged to make timely payments (that is, on or before May 11, 2020) in order to ensure orderly
operations of government.
Please note that this will not apply to property tax payments made through an escrow account or mortgage company.
This waiver applies to property tax liabilities for both real and personal property.
“Please be patient with us during this difficult time in our local communities, counties, state, nation and world. We are attempting to keep business on schedule and help with any questions you may have,” said Batt.
The Treasurer’s Hours are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday-Friday
The Treasurer’s Office maintains the following options for payment:
- DROPBOX: Checks, money orders or cashier’s checks and MUST INCLUDE THE PAYMENT COUPON.
- Payments may be dropped in the gray payment box on the south side of the courthouse by the flagpole handicap parking space. Include contact information (phone OR email).
- DO NOT PUT CASH IN PAYMENT DROPBOX.
- BANK: Pay at any First Savings Bank branch. You must provide a payment coupon. Include a phone number on the check.
- MAIL: Send your check, money order or cashier’s check with PAYMENT COUPON made payable to:
- Treasurer Washington County 99 Public Square Suite 101 Salem IN 47167
- Include contact information (phone OR email).
- DO NOT PUT CASH IN MAIL. Website www.washingtontax.net – payments may be made on this website.
- Please note a convenience fee of 2.95% will be applied.