SHARE

On December 23, 2020, around 7:30 am, Jail Officers at the Scott County Jail began smelling smoke and then the fire alarms at the jail began sounding. 

An investigation by the officers resulted in locating a freshly washed damp stack of wash towels in an isolated hallway near the kitchen.

At this time, after watching the video, it appears the damp towels spontaneously combusted and began smoking. 

The towels were removed from the jail and the Scottsburg City Fire Department was called to examine the Jail and investigate the situation. 

As a result of the fire, a Jail Officer was transported to Scott Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation and later released. 

No inmates were exposed to the smoke or fire.