Yesterday afternoon at approximately 4:15, Trooper Widner observed a 2005 Jaguar traveling left of center on Broadway near Bayou Creek Road.
A traffic stop was initiated and the driver of the Jaguar turned into a residence off-Broadway, but then suddenly turned around in the yard and fled east on Broadway accelerating to 60 mph.
Trooper Widner terminated the chase due to safety concerns.
As Trooper Widner was advising dispatch on the last known direction of travel, he observed the vehicle had crashed off-Broadway at Nurrenbern Road.
The driver and passenger had fled from the vehicle.
Trooper Widner spotted the passenger running through a backyard and gave chase.
Moments later, the passenger was arrested without further incident.
The passenger was identified as Kwauntai Flax, 23, of Evansville.
After securing the passenger, Trooper Widner observed the driver running east through a yard near a wood line. A short time later, Vanderburgh County sheriff’s deputies located the driver hiding in the woods.
He was taken into custody without further incident.
The driver was identified as Brett Salmon, 22, of Evansville. Salmon and Flax were having difficulty breathing, so they were both transported by EMS to Deaconess Midtown Hospital where they were treated and then released.
Further investigation revealed Salmon and Flax were under the influence of K2. Salmon had also struck another vehicle on Broadway causing minor injuries to the female driver. She was not transported to an area hospital.
Both men were transported to the Vanderburgh County Jail. Salmon is currently being held without bond. Flax is currently being held on a $100 bond.
Arrested and Charges:
- Brett Salmon, 22, Evansville, IN
- Resisting Law Enforcement with a Vehicle, Level 6 Felony
- Resisting Law Enforcement, Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle while Intoxicated causing Injury, Level 6 Felony
- Operating a Vehicle while Intoxicated, Class A Misdemeanor
- Leaving the Scene of a Crash with Injury, Level 6 Felony
- Reckless Driving, Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle without ever obtaining a Driver’s License, Class C Misdemeanor
- Kwauntai Flax, 23, Evansville, IN
- Resisting Law Enforcement, Class A MisdemeanorArresting Officer: Trooper Tyler Widner, Indiana State Police
Assisting Officers: Sgt. Compton, Trooper Backes, Trooper Fox, Trooper Rafferty, Trooper Stewart, and Trooper Vennekotter
Assisting Agency: Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office