January 26, 2021, at approximately 7:45 p.m., Trooper Daniel Organ was patrolling near US 41 and Hasselburger Avenue when he observed suspicious activity, followed by a passenger vehicle traveling in and around abandoned buildings with no headlights activated.
Trooper Organ proceeded to stop the vehicle, a 2007 Toyota.
The driver was identified as Ryan Roberts, age 30, of Terre Haute, Indiana.
Roberts was arrested and charged with:
- Possession of Stolen Auto Parts, Felony 6
- Possession of Methamphetamine, Felony 6
- Possession of Narcotics, Felony 6
- Unlawful Possession of a Syringe, Felony 6
- Maintaining a Common Nuisance, Felony 6
- Possession of Counterfeit Currency, Felony 6
- Criminal Mischief, Class B Misdemeanor
- Criminal Trespassing, Class A Misdemeanor
- Possession of a Controlled Substance, Class A Misdemeanor
Trooper Organ inquired from Roberts why he was traveling around the buildings with no headlights. Roberts stated that he didn’t want to be seen.
Trooper Organ ran the plates on the 2007 Toyota and discovered that the plates were stolen. Roberts was immediately taken into custody.
While searching Roberts and the vehicle, Trooper Organ discovered methamphetamine, heroin, syringes, counterfeit money, and car keys.
Further investigation discovered that Roberts was also in possession of a stolen vehicle at the time of the traffic stop.
The keys located on Roberts also led to the recovery of a stolen vehicle that was reported to the Terre Haute Police Department earlier in the week.
The stolen vehicle was located in one of the abandoned buildings, where Trooper Organ had earlier observed Roberts exiting from.
Roberts was arrested and taken to the Vigo County Jail where he is currently being held on bond.
Arresting Officer: Trooper Daniel Organ
Assisting Agencies: Terre Haute Police Department, Vigo County Central Dispatch Center, several troopers of the Putnamville State Police Post.