Home Blog Page 345

State Park Inns restaurants return to carry-out only

0

Indiana Department of Natural Resources properties has been a safe place for Hoosiers to get fresh air, stretch their legs, and seek solace throughout 2020. But we have had to temporarily suspend some services for the safety of our guests and staff along the way.

Out of an abundance of caution, we are modifying all dining for the seven restaurants at our State Park Inns to carry-out only through Dec. 15.

Thanksgiving meals will be carry-out only for inn guests. Reservation holders will be notified.

“We apologize for the inconvenience,” the DNR noted in a press release. “If any additional alterations are needed they will be posted to the DNR COVID-19 Response page: on.IN.gov/DNRcovid19.

Hoosiers have gathered at our tables for Thanksgiving dinner for more than 60 years, and we look forward to restarting this annual tradition in 2021.

Scott County Inmate Roster – 11-18-20

0
inmates booked into the Detention Center within the last 24 hours.
 
MARLING, KAYLA
Booking #:
SCJAIL:2020-001064
Booking Date:
11-17-2020 – 3:40 pm
Charges:
IC 35-44.1-2-9(FL6) ~ FAILURE TO APPEAR — IF CHARGE WAS A FELONY

BAKER, BRENT
Booking #:
SCJAIL:2020-001063
Booking Date:
11-17-2020 – 2:31 pm
Charges:
IC 16-42-19-18(FL6) ~ UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF SYRINGE
IC 35-48-4-6.1(A)FL6 ~ POSSESSION OF METHAMPHETAMINE

MILLER, VICTORIA
Booking #:
SCJAIL:2020-001062
Booking Date:
11-17-2020 – 9:12 am
Charges:
IC 35-46-1-15.1(MA) ~ INVASION OF PRIVACY

 
Inmates released from the Detention Center within the last 24 hours.
 
SPICER, JASON
Booking #:
SCJAIL:2020-001004
Release Date:
11-17-2020 – 10:15 am
Booking Date:
10-29-2020 – 2:01 pm
Charges:
IC 35-44.1-2-9(FL6) ~ FAILURE TO APPEAR — IF CHARGE WAS A FELONY

Meals available for Students During Virtual Learning

0

Similar to the spring school turn to virtual education, once again schools will be offering meals to students who are currently back at home with virtual learning. 

Washington County Health Officer Dr. Jeff Morgan ordered schools to move junior and senior high school classes online after the state designated the county as “Orange”.

Morgan said the elementary students could continue in-person. 

Salem and East Washington schools sent everyone home. West Washington is allowing the elementary students to continue while the older grades went home to take virtual classes. 

Salem and East Washington will be providing meals for those students. 

West Washington said it was making meals available to only those students who needed them. 

According to Joni Muchler, WW School Nutrition Director, “Unfortunately, we have not had a good response with the meals we have offered so far for our Virtual Wednesday learning days, participation has been extremely low.  So, we are not doing meal pickups. We do have some of our higher need students we are bringing in so they are getting meals and extra help.”

Muchler said anyone who contacts the schools will be taken care of.

She said two groups within the school were making food baskets for some students. 

Salem is distributing meals for students 18 and under who are not attending school in person. 

A second distribution day will be Wednesday, Nov. 18

Meal pickup will be at the Bradie M. Shrum Elementary gym doors on Wednesday from 11am – 12:30 pm (3 breakfast / 3 lunch)

Administration requests those picking up food please stay in their vehicle.

Children do not need to be present and another person may be designated to pick up meals.

All East Washington Students will be able to pick up free breakfasts and lunches from 9:45-11:00 a.m. on the following days: November 18, 19, 20, 23 and the 24th. 

Elementary students can pick up meals at the elementary and middle and high students at Eastern High School.

For more information, contact the schools at the following numbers:

  • West Washington Administration – 812-755-4872
  • East Washington Administration – 812-967-3926
  • Salem Schools Administration – 812-883-4437

Young Discusses COVID-19 Vaccines and the Need to Pass Critical Relief

0

Today, U.S. Senator Todd Young (R-Ind.) discussed COVID-19 vaccine developments and reinforced the need to pass a targeted relief package for Hoosiers.

“I too want to celebrate American ingenuity and recognize the achievements of these two pharmaceutical companies that recently announced the development of, it appears, highly effective vaccines to the COVID-19 virus. They of course in the coming weeks will be seeking formal approval for emergency use from the FDA. And there are some other drugs online that are notable as well. Eli Lilly, out of Indianapolis, Indiana has a drug that is targeted towards those who are most at risk of contracting the COVID-19 virus and it’s already been approved by the FDA. All of this is possible because of our innovators, our frontline scientists, and our incredible university system. But the Trump administration is also to be commended for its Operation Warp Speed, finding a new way to do business, and Republicans in the U.S. Senate, led by Roy Blunt, who helped author this initiative in the CARES Act. So I’m very proud of my colleagues and we need to build on that success here in Washington,” said Senator Young.

“… we as legislators need to build on our CARES Act success by passing the next round of assistance. Small business assistance is especially important as we hundreds and thousands of businesses having permanently closed on account of this pandemic. They require additional help. I have been talking about this for months and I’ll continue to talk about this,” Senator Young continued.

48-hour closure planned tomorrow through Thursday morning on S.R. 45 in Helmsburg

0

Indiana Department of Transportation maintenance crews plan to close a section of S.R. 45 in Brown County this week to replace a structure under the roadway. The structure is located between North Street and 1st Street in Helmsburg.

This will be a continuous closure starting around 8 a.m. on Tuesday (Nov. 17) and ending by 8 a.m. on Thursday morning (Nov. 19), weather permitting. Motorists will need to utilize an alternate route while the closure is in place.

Overnight closures planned this weekend on Eastern Blvd. and Veterans Pkwy. in Clarksville

0

Indiana Department of Transportation contractor E&B Paving Inc. plans to close Eastern Blvd. and Veterans Pkwy. over I-65 this weekend in Clarksville for terminal joint repair.

Eastern Blvd. is scheduled to close overnight on Saturday (Nov. 21) and Veterans Pkwy. on Sunday (Nov. 22). Both closures will take place from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night. 

On Saturday, U.S. 31 will be restricted to thru or right-turn movements only at Eastern Blvd. All ramps will remain open on Sunday at Veterans Pkwy., but traffic will not be allowed to cross I-65.

Motorists are reminded to slow down, use extra caution, and drive distraction-free in and near work zones. Closures will be rescheduled if needed due to inclement weather.

Austin Man, 41, Dies in House Fire

0

A 41-year-old Austin man was killed in a house fire and Indiana State Police detectives and crime scene investigators are conducting a death investigation after the early morning blaze. 

The deceased has been identified as Paul Ray Collins, 41, of Austin, Indiana.

Next of Kin has been notified.

This investigation is ongoing, and no official cause for the fire or cause of death has yet been determined. 

Shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday morning, the Jennings Township Fire Department and Austin City Police Department responded to a 911 call reporting a residential fire at 45 N. 4th Street in Austin. 

When firefighters and officers arrived, they found the front of the residence on fire and a utility shed located in the front yard completely engulfed. 

After extinguishing the fire, firefighters discovered a body in the charred remains of the utility shed. 

ISP detectives and crime scene technicians responded and investigated the case throughout the morning and afternoon, along with investigators from the Indiana State Fire Marshall’s Office, the Austin Police Department, and the Scott County Coroner.  

ISP detectives and crime scene technicians were assisted by units from the Jennings Township Fire Department, the Austin City Police Department, The Scott County Sheriff’s Department, and the Scott County Coroner. 

Gov. Holcomb Quarantines After COVID-19 Exposure

0

Several members of Gov. Eric Holcomb’s security detail have tested positive for COVID-19.

As a result, Indiana State Department of Health Commissioner Dr. Kris Box has advised Governor Holcomb and First Lady Janet Holcomb to quarantine beginning today.

Governor and First Lady Holcomb are considered close contacts and will be tested later this week.

The Indiana State Department of Health will perform the contact tracing for the Governor, First Lady and the security detail.

Dr. Box and Dr. Lindsay Weaver will lead Wednesday afternoon’s weekly COVID briefing and the Governor will join by phone.

You can watch the weekly address on WSLM’s Facebook page. 

Health Department Allows Senators Semi-State Game Friday

0

According to an announcement on the West Washington Senators page this afternoon, the Washington County Health Department has approved a plan to allow the county’s first-ever semi-state football championship game. 

The West Washington Senators Varsity Football team advanced past the regional round last Friday night and will play Covenant Christian for the Class A Semi-State championship Friday night at Art Sanders Field at 7p. 

Earlier this week, first-year West Washington High School Athletic Director Darrin Russel said he was confident the school would get to play their football game Friday night. 

“As far as semi-state we have been in communication this weekend with the IHSAA and State health department and are confident that we will be able to host,” he said. “It isn’t what you want if you’re playing for a chance to go to state [finals] but just thankful that we are playing and the kids will get the opportunity to play on Art Sanders Field.”

In a social media post this afternoon, the school noted: 

“[West Washington School Corporation] wants to thank the Washington County Health Department and Dr. [Jeff] Morgan for working so closely with us in order to allow us to host our Semi-State Championship Game with limited spectators.”
 
Here is a copy of the Senators’ play they submitted to the health department – FB Game Day Guidelines

This is the first semi-state football tournament held in the county.

The Senators play in a semi-state game last year at Indianapolis Lutheran and were defeated 49-0.

The Senators last played in a Semi-State game in 1994 when they lost 27-6 to Sheridan. 

The year before, in 1993, the Senators capped off a winning season by playing in the RCA Dome for the Class A State Finals against North Miami. The Senators lost 37-16. 

Last week, Morgan issued restrictions for education and extra-curricular activities after Washington County turned to “Orange” on the state health department’s Covid-19 map. 
 
At that time, Morgan said he would only allow less than 50 people to attend sporting (or extracurricular) events during the time the county was in the “Orange” status. 
 
The Senators Facebook page didn’t mention how many tickets would be made available to either team. 
 
Morgan indicated a “strong recommendation to have no in-person attendees.”
 
“If in the situation that our county moves into the red category, all three schools will be closed to in-person learning,” Morgan wrote in a letter on Nov. 12 to all school administrators. “All extracurricular activities would be canceled.”
 
Morgan said this was a stricter mandate than what the ISDH has put out but “it is in the best health interest of our community.” 
 
County coaches said they would be disappointed but would comply with the order.
 
“If the county goes Red- then yes- we will have to shut down all sports,” said Eastern High School Athletic Director Scott Newcomb. “At the high school level, we will try to make up all postponed games here at Eastern.  If we continue to play with no fans (Orange level) or very limited fans, this will really impact our ability to host games.”

Newcomb said it would have an economic impact on the school as well.

“Without any income coming in with the gate and concessions, and still paying officials and a few workers, it will make it difficult to operate very long,” he said. “The money that is generated throughout the basketball season also helps to fund the spring sports.  With all that being said, we do realize the health and safety of our student-athletes, our workers and the community that comes to watch them is the most important piece to this whole puzzle.”

West Washington’s girl’s basketball team has three games set for this week and the boy’s basketball team is practicing for their annual debut matchup with the Salem Lions on Wednesday, Nov. 25. 
 
“We are taking everything [one] day at a time,” said first-year Senator Athletic Director Darren Russell. “Obviously, if we go red and have to shut down there is nothing we can do.”
 
He said the school was working on plans to continue to play and operate under the “Orange” status guidelines. 
 
“We have plans in the work on how we can have parents close just in case their kid gets hurt which is the biggest fear any of have is that someone gets hurt and a parent isn’t there,” said Russell. 
 
The Indiana State Health Department updates its county map each Wednesday. 
 
Currently, Washington County is at a 14.9 percent 7-Day All Positivity Rate.
 
The “Red” status would kick in if the county goes above 15 percent.
 

Should Washington County turn to red, which is the highest rate of Covid-19 spread, Morgan said he would cancel all athletic events. 

It is not known at this time if the Semi-State game would be allowed to continue or if it would be canceled along with other athletics. 
 
The ISDH updates that on Wednesday and new information would be released at Noon on Nov. 18. 
 
West Washington says there will be a limited number of tickets available for each team and all tickets must be pre-purchased, but there was no indication what the number was. 
 
The cost per ticket is $10.
 
WW Football players need to purchase their tickets from Coach Keith Nance as soon as possible. 
 
A limited number of tickets will be available in the West Washington High School office beginning Wednesday, Nov. 18 at 8:30 am for those not getting them through a player.
 
WSLM 97.9 FM will carry the game live on the air and it will be streamed on WSLM’s Facebook page. 
 
The kickoff is set for 7p with the pregame show starting at approximately 7:45p. 
 
 

Floyd County Issues Restrictions for Bars and Restaurants until Dec. 21

0

Dr. Thomas Harrison, Floyd County’s Health Officer, issued restrictions for local bars and restaurants to help curb the rising infection rate of Covid-19. 

Harris said bars in Floyd County would close at 10 pm local time each evening, pursuant to Indiana Code 16-20-1 and 16-41-9.

Additionally, Harris has ordered restaurants to decrease seating to 75% of capacity.

His order will remain in effect until midnight, December 21.

Harris and the Floyd County Health Department extended the county’s mask mandate to the end of the year in mid-October. 

“The outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to plague our community,” he noted in a press release. “Moreover, we are seeing community-wide disease-causing increasing rates of illness. This week, the state has hit the highest 7-day rolling average of cases for the entire Pandemic.”

Harris said measures such as hand hygiene, facial coverings, social distancing, staying home when sick, and avoiding large crowds are the most effective strategies to reduce the spread from infected persons to non-infected persons.

“Therefore, to protect public health and simply save lives, restrictions must be extended to assist in the reduction of COVID-19 transmission, and avoid an increase in new cases,” he wrote. 

“The order may be extended or curtailed depending on Pandemic conditions,” Harris noted. “The intent of this order is to continue to provide a safe environment for all people in Floyd County and avoid the spread of COVID-19.”

Harris said the move will protect public health in Floyd County.

“Nothing in this order reduces or eliminates the requirements imposed by the executive orders by Governor Holcomb or orders from other regulating governmental agencies. This order is intended to be used to educate, encourage, and persuade people to avoid large indoor gatherings and maintain social distancing. Additionally, we encourage other business and governmental sectors to allow employees to work from home when feasible.”

Citizens should continue to use frequent hand washing or sanitizing; maintain a minimum social distance of six
(6) feet; avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands; and stay home and isolate yourself if
you are sick.

“We recommend all those in symptomatic and close contact status be tested,” said Harris. 

So far 21,605 people have been tested for Covid-19 in Floyd County with 2,673 positive results. 

There have been 76 Covid-19 related deaths since March.