Home Blog Page 713

Salem Middle School Could Be One of Nations “Safest” Schools

0

It is well documented that active shooter attacks are quick and violent in nature, relying on both surprise and shock to aid in the shooter’s effectiveness.

Due to these factors, calls from a school to 911 often do not begin until well after the incident has even begun.

The national average for a call to go out to 911 hovers around the two minute mark. Once those calls are made there is still a large amount of missing information and misreported intel.

The alert to law enforcement that a situation is underway rests solely on the shoulders of those trapped within an incident. This means of communication combined with the lack of usable information coming from the caller/s, serves only to prolong an efficient response from law enforcement.

Salem Schools has been addressing safety for almost 10 years – spending money every year to make improvements.

Each of the schools has networked cameras, locking doors and specially secured entrances to all three buildings. Bullet-proof glass has also been installed. 

Superintendent DL Reed told the board at its regular meeting Monday night that she has continued talks with Net Talon, the security company responsible for the “Safest School in America” – better known as Southwestern High School in Shelbyville, IN – and has signed up the the Salem Middle School to be a pilot school. 

Reed told board members last Friday at a special meeting that she had been discussing options with Net Talon’s Donald Jones. 

“I have been on the phone with Net Talon, the group that installed the pilot program at Southwestern School in Shelbyville. I talked to the owner, Don Jones.  I sent him and email and he just called me. They are looking for more pilot schools. They are going to do 8-10 this year with the Indiana Sheriff’s Association. I signed us up. I hope I wasn’t premature. They will choose one of our schools. If that’s successful, we can do that with the other two schools.”

Reed said there would be some costs involved, but the board recently approved setting aside $1 million for security updates in all three schools. 

29-Year-Old Seymour Man Busted For Dealing Meth

0

Twice in as many weeks, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department made an arrest for dealing methamphetamine in Jackson County.

On March 11, Christopher Bell, 29, of Seymour was arrested for dealing methamphetamine, a Level 5 Felony following a high-speed chase through Jackson County.

Bell failed to stop for a traffic violation for Reserve Deputy Scott Davis on County Road 1240 East, South of Seymour when the pursuit began. Bell fled North from Davis on US Highway 31 at speeds reaching 100 mph.

Bell then turned onto County Road 275 North but failed to make a turn onto County Road 1000 East. Bell drove his vehicle into a field and ran from the vehicle. Bell was caught by Davis after a foot pursuit through a field and into a wooded area West of County Road 1000 East.

Bell was found to be in possession of a bag that contained Methamphetamine, a digital scale, and two cell phones. Conflicting information at the scene about the ownership of the vehicle Bell was driving led to him being arrested for theft as well.

Davis arrested Bell for possession and dealing methamphetamine, both Level 5 Felonies. He was also arrested for Auto Theft, Maintaining a Common Nuisance, and Resisting Arrest With a Vehicle, all Level 6 Felonies, and on Misdemeanor charges of Criminal Recklessness, Reckless Driving, Resisting Arrest, Criminal Trespassing, Criminal Mischief, and Driving While Suspended with a Prior Conviction.

Bell is being held without bond in the Jackson County Jail. Davis was assisted by Crothersville Police Officer J.L. McElfresh, County Officers Ben Rudolph and Tyler Goodpaster, Seymour Police Officers Brian Proffet and Sgt. Jack Swindell.

Medora Man Arrested For Dealing Meth

0

A five-month investigation conducted by Deputy Jeff Walters and Detective Ben Rudolph led to the arrest of Robert England, 64, of Medora. 

England has been charged with 2 Counts of Dealing Methamphetamine, a Level 2 Felony, and Dealing Methamphetamine, Level 4 Felony.

England was arrested on March 6, 2018 during an undercover operation.  During the arrest, England was found to be in possession of Methamphetamine and Scheduled II Controlled Substances.  Also, during the arrest England was found to be in possession of a firearm and drug paraphernalia.

Detective Rudolph secured a search warrant for England’s residence which yielded an additional 95 grams of Methamphetamine and $8,770 in cash.  Detectives also found Marijuana, and Marijuana growing in the garage.  After the search warrant, England will be remanded on additional charges of Dealing Methamphetamine, Level 2 Felony, Maintaining a Common Nuisance, possession of Marijuana, and Possession of Paraphernalia.

England is currently incarcerated in the Jackson County Jail.  A Level 2 Felony has a punishable range of 10-30 years in prison.

Assisting with the execution of the search warrant were Lt. Andy Wayman and Detectives Bob Lucas and Tom Barker.

Syngenta Corn Nationwide Class Action Lawsuit Settles for $1.51 Billion

0

A $1.51 billion settlement has been reached in the nationwide class action lawsuit filed in Kansas federal court over Syngenta’s genetically modified corn seed. 

It is believed to be the largest agricultural litigation settlement in U.S. history.  The settlement covers all U.S. corn producers – farmers and crop share landlords – as well as grain handling facilities and ethanol plants nationwide who sold corn priced after September 15, 2013.

A motion for preliminary approval has been filed. The settlement must be approved by the Honorable John W. Lungstrum, a United States District Judge for the District of Kansas.

The litigation has been led by four lawyers who were appointed Co-Lead and Class Counsel by the Court – Scott Powell of Hare, Wynn, Newell and Newton; LLP, William Chaney of Gray Reed & McGraw LLP, Patrick Stueve of Stueve Siegel Hanson LLP, Don Downing of Gray, Ritter & Graham, P.C.

The four co-lead counsel issued a statement: “We are very pleased with this outcome. America’s corn farmers and related businesses were hurt economically and this settlement will provide fair compensation for their damages. It is an equitable result for all involved.”

Who is Covered Under this Syngenta Corn Class Action Settlement?

All corn growers, grain handling facilities and ethanol plants across the country – as defined in the settlement and who choose to stay in the settlement – are covered by this settlement, including any U.S. farmers who opted out of previous Syngenta litigation.

However, all class members must submit a claim form to receive settlement funds. 

Next Steps

 

If preliminarily approved, the settlement terms and claims process information will be set forth in notices mailed to class members and published in various media outlets across the country, as well as in a settlement website.

Members of the class then will have a period of time to submit a claim form, opt out of the settlement, or object to the terms of the agreement.

Judge Lungstrum then will decide on whether to finally approve the $1.51 billion settlement.  If the settlement is ultimately approved, it is anticipated that funds could be distributed to class members in the first half of 2019.

The Syngenta Genetically Modified Corn Seed Litigation

Judge Lungstrum certified the nationwide class action lawsuit in September 2016. 

 

Eight state class action lawsuits were also certified in the multi-district litigation. The four co-lead plaintiff’s counsel in the nationwide class action lawsuit also represented more than 7,000 Kansas farmers in the first and only state class action lawsuit to be tried to a verdict. In June 2017, a Kansas jury returned a $217.7 million verdict in favor of the Kansas grown growers.

 

These farmers, as well as all corn farmers nationwide, will be covered under this class action settlement and must submit a claim form to receive compensation.

 

For more information, visit www.syngentacornlitigation.com

Local Educators Share Recovery Efforts With Harvey Teachers

0

On March 7, 2018, school leaders from across the nation traveled to Beaumont, Texas, to share their recovery experiences with educational leaders whose districts were impacted by Hurricane Harvey.

Troy Albert, Salem High School Principal and Dr. John Reed, West Clark Superintendent joined other volunteer mentors to share experiences and discuss important recovery related topics. Both were involved in the recovery efforts and rebuilding project after the destruction of Henryville’s High School by a tornado. 

Salem High School Principal Troy Albert, second from left, and Dr. John Reed, third from right, attended a training session in Texas on disaster recovery.

Among issues discussed were current mental and behavioral health challenges, how school district leadership can best support educators and students through recovery, effective communication strategies and other topics pertinent to school districts in the Region 5 Education Service Center in Beaumont, Texas.

Volunteer mentors worked with local school leaders to problem solve current and potential future challenges and in the development of action plans to guide recovery efforts going forward.

In addition to a number of collaborative activities, Troy Albert Salem High School Principal and Dr. John Reed, West Clark Superintendent, participated on an expert panel to share lessons learned from their personal recovery experiences to provide valuable insight on issues Harvey-impacted leaders may encounter post disaster.

In discussing what did the panel learn after six months after a tragedy, “The greatest
lesson learned was the people matter and their feelings and emotional well-being is vital.The teachers lost items and the need for more outside support was really the greatest item that need a to change. Listen to the needs of the teachers and support staff.” said Albert.

The seminar was part of an ongoing effort to strengthen local resiliency and build system-wide capacity in areas across the Hurricane Harvey impacted region.

Indiana State Police Investigate Double Homicide

0

The Indiana State Police were called to investigate a double homicide on Friday that occurred in Pulaski County.

Friday, March 9, 2018, evening detectives with the Indiana State Police were called to a residence in the 3900 block West County Road 200 North in Pulaski County. 

A family member had went to this residence for a well-being check as the relative living there had not been heard from in approximately two days. The family member found two people dead in the house.  Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department were notified and responded.

Pulaski County Sheriff Department secured the scene and called for ISP detectives and ISP Crime Scene Investigation personnel.  The two deceased have been identified as Loss Stacy, 59 (resident) and Mary Kurek (Loss Stacy girlfriend), 56 of Gary, Indiana.  The manner of death and cause of death are pending the results of an autopsy and toxicology.  Family has been notified.

Evidence from the investigation has lead to the arrest early Saturday, March 10, 2018, of Ross Stacy, 32 of Winamac.  Ross Stacy is being held in the Pulaski County Jail and has been formally charged with Murder.

All criminal defendants are to be presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

83-Year-Old Ohio Man Killed by Vehicle

0

On Friday, March 9, 2018, at approximately 7:50 pm, the Indiana State Police responded to a report of a pedestrian being struck by a vehicle on State Road 56 at Lincoln Street in Rising Sun.

The initial investigation by Trp. Kyle Stovall indicated that a blue 2012 Chevrolet Cruze being driven by Gary Turner, age 77, Rising Sun, Indiana was traveling eastbound on State Road 56 at Lincoln Street. 

Turner’s vehicle struck a pedestrian, identified as Onlie Gulley, age 83, Morrow, Ohio who was in the roadway.  Further investigation revealed that Gulley was walking southbound across State Road 56 when he was struck.      

Gulley was transported to the Dearborn County Hospital where he died as a result of the injuries he sustained in the crash.  Turner was not injured in the collision.

Alcohol and drugs are not believed to be factors in the crash.  However, toxicology results on Turner are pending at this time.

The crash continues to be under investigation by the Indiana State Police-Versailles Crash Reconstruction Team.  The Indiana State Police was assisted by the Rising Sun Police Department, Ohio County Sheriff’s Department, Ohio County EMS, and the Ohio County Coroner’s Office.

Lawrence County Inmate Roster – 3-12-18

0
 A I L  M A N A G E M E N T
                                                      Arrest Report for Courts
                                                    03/08/2018  thru  03/12/2018
 
Book Date  Time      DOB      SSN            Charge         Charge          Sex  Arr Ag                  Bail       Bail Agency
                          Cause No.          Code(s)     Description(s)
 
 
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
03/08/2018 0831  06/03/1987 ***********                                       M BEDFORD PD              7,500.00
HACKNEY,JOSHUA L        ON-SITE            0BATTERY PR BATTERY, DOM IN PRES Court: SUPERIOR COURT I    Date/Time:           -0000
                        ON SITE            00000000213 STRANGULATION        Court:                     Date/Time:           -0000
          Citizen? Yes      Birth Place Country: US      City: LAWRENCE CO.     State: IN
          Class: FELONY
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
03/08/2018 0958  08/01/1994 ***********                                       F LCPD                        0.00
JONES,ASHLEY N          47D02-1803-CM-401  00000000134 OTHER UNLISTED CHARG Court: SUPERIOR COURT II   Date/Time:           -0000
          Citizen? Yes      Birth Place Country: US      City: BEDFORD          State: IN
          Class: MISDEMEANOR
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
03/08/2018 0958  09/05/1997 ***********                                       M LCPD                        0.00
KOPSHO,ISAAC S          47D02-1803-F6-402  00000000058 THEFT                Court: SUPERIOR COURT II   Date/Time:           -0000
          Citizen? Yes      Birth Place Country: US      City: BEDFORD          State: IN
          Class: FELONY
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
03/08/2018 1015  03/09/1968 ***********                                       M LCPD                        0.00
COLLINS,ROBERT D        47D01-1605-F6-598  00000000201 PETITION TO REVOKE   Court: SUPERIOR COURT I    Date/Time:           -0000
          Citizen? Yes      Birth Place Country: US      City: MONROE CO        State: IN
          Class: FELONY
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
03/08/2018 1130  09/14/1982 ***********                                       F LCPD                        0.00 REL TO WASHING
EVERLEY,MICHELLE D                         00000000210 HOLD FOR ANOTHER COU Court:                     Date/Time:           -0000
          Citizen? Yes      Birth Place Country: US      City: BEDFORD          State: IN
          Class: FELONY
                                                                                               Release Date/Time: 03/09/2018-0919
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
03/08/2018 1412  04/02/1958 ***********                                       F LCPD                    3,000.00 SUPERIOR COURT
RATKOVICH,DONNA S       47D02-1802-CM-330  00000000006 LEAVING SCENE OF PD  Court: SUPERIOR COURT II   Date/Time:           -0000
          Citizen? Yes      Birth Place Country: US      City: BEDFORD          State: IN
          Class: MISDEMEANOR
                                                                                               Release Date/Time: 03/08/2018-1440
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
03/08/2018 1427  04/02/1987 ***********                                       M BEDFORD PD                  0.00
BALL,JOSHUA W           47D02-1705-F6-632  00000000201 PETITION TO REVOKE   Court: SUPERIOR COURT II   Date/Time:           -0000
          Citizen? Yes      Birth Place Country: US      City: FORT WORTH       State: TX
          Class: FELONY

Washington County Inmate Roster – 3-12-18

0

March 11

City of Salem Police Department

Tyler Wayne Schocke, 22, Salem

  • Probation Violation

Clark County Inmate Roster – 3-12-18

0

Clark County Inmate Roster 

JAIL ROSTER 3-12-18