A New Castle woman was arrested Monday evening after she caused a three-vehicle crash on State Road 3 at the intersection of Riley Road in New Castle.
Trooper JT Burns responded to the area and found three cars blocking the right two northbound lanes of State Road 3. Trooper Burns began to assess the scene and was approached by a local ER doctor who had witnessed the crash. The doctor instinctively began to triage the drivers of the damaged vehicles. She informed Trp. Burns that two of the drivers appeared to be uninjured however, the driver of one vehicle appeared to be non-responsive and was fading in and out of consciousness. The female driver was transported to the Henry Community Health Hospital for treatment.
During his investigation, Trp. Burns learned Melissa K. Terry, 48, New Castle, IN was driving a 2012 Mitsubishi northbound on State Road 3. She later admitted she was reaching for a bag on the passenger side floorboard. She didn’t see two cars which were stopped at the stop light at the intersection of Riley Road. Terry’s vehicle struck the rear of a 2017 Fiat driver by Lisa Kimmey, 52, New Castle, IN causing it to strike a 2017 GMC truck driven by Gerald Creager, 73, Eaton, OH.
During his investigation Trp. Burns found a rock like substance, a powder like substance, and paraphernalia associated with drug use in Terry’s vehicle.
Terry was found to be wanted on active arrest warrants from both North Carolina and Virginia.
Terry was evaluated and released by the ER staff before being transported to the Henry County Jail.
Arrested and Preliminary Charges:
- Melissa K. Terry, 48, New Castle, IN
- Possession of Methamphetamine – Level 6 Felony
- Possession of Narcotic Drug – Level 6 Felony
- Operating While Intoxicated (Endangerment) – Class A Misdemeanor
- Public Intoxication – Class B Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated (Controlled Substance) – Class C Misdemeanor
- Possession of Paraphernalia – Class C Misdemeanor
- Virginia Warrant – Full Extradition (Possession of Dangerous Drugs)
Trp. Burns was assisted by the New Castle PD, Henry County SD, New Castle EMS, New Castle FD, Henry Community Health Hospital ER, and Affordable 24 Hour Towing