Emergency Preparendness Money Not Consistant
Central Indiana health and safety leaders say they need not just federal funding for emergency preparedness, but more consistent funding.
Hospital representatives and state and local public safety officials testified at a congressional field hearing in Carmel, home to House Emergency Preparedness Subcommittee Chair Susan Brooks. Indiana hospitals and police and fire agencies coordinate their emergency response operations and drills through a public-private partnership dubbed the MESH Coalition.
MESH C-E-O Chad Priest says the group is grateful for the federal support it‘s received. But he says it‘s difficult to make long-range plans when the money local agencies receive from Washington keeps fluctuating, and at times disappearing entirely.
Brooks was joined for the hearing by Second District Representative Jackie Walorski and Senator Joe Donnelly. All praised Indiana agencies for their readiness. Brooks notes that although drills and planning often focus on terrorist threats, Indiana has shown the same preparation and coordination comes into play in other kinds of disasters, from the gas explosion which leveled part of Indy‘s Richmond Hill subdivision earlier this year to the Henryville tornado last year.
Missing Man Found Dead
A La Porte man who had been missing since Saturday was found dead in a ditch along Interstate 94 Tuesday afternoon. Indiana State Police say a mowing crew was clearing the grassy area on I-94 about one mile west of the Portage exit when the body of 50-year-old Ricky Kimble was found. Kimble had been reported missing on Monday and hadn‘t been seen since Saturday. It‘s not known how Kimble died. An autopsy is pending at South Bend Memorial Hospital. Police are still investigating as to what may have caused Kimble‘s death. Anyone who may have seen Kimble walking on I-80/94 from late Saturday until early Tuesday is asked to call the La Porte County Sheriff‘s Office.
Arrested Motorist Bonds Out
A Pekin woman who was taken into custody by the Washington County Sheriff’s Department and charged with reckless homicide and possession of a controlled substance has been released on bond.
Brooke Bunch, 31, Pekin, was arrested August 5 and booked into the Washington County Detention Center. Later in the day, she bonded out and was released from custody.
Bunch was charged with one count of Reckless Homicide, a Class C Felony and one county of Possession of a Controlled Substance, a Class D Felony.
The sheriff’s department is continuing to investigate the April 8 death of Johhny Ferrill, 67, Sellersburg.
The fatal accident occurred on State Road 60 East between Motsinger Road and Sullivan Lane.
Ferrill was traveling west and was operating a 2004 Harley Davidson.
Bunch was traveling East and operating a 2004 Jeep Cherokee.
WSLM received reports from a motorist who was following Bunch on April 8, noting she was driving “erratically” and weaving all over the road. The caller had also reported this to the Sheriff’s Department.
Bunch left the road, driving into a ditch and then ramping up the hill back onto State Road 60, coming into the path of the motorcycle.
Ferrill was ejected from the bike and thrown into a field to the east of the roadway.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Salem High School Athletic Event Pass Sales
Athletic passes for Salem High and Salem Middle Schools will go on sale in the athletic office at the high school on Tuesday, August 6 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Passes will also be sold at the first home varsity event for each sport. Cost of passes are:
H.S. 10 Event Pass – $30.00 – excludes tournaments
M.S. 10 Event Pass – $20.00 – excludes tournaments
Family Pass – $150.00 – four members of the immediate family, $25.00 for each additional member, admission for all h.s. and m.s. events excluding tournaments, non-transferable
State Fair Food Ready To Roll
The Indiana State Fair means food, usually deep fried food that isn‘t healthy. Does that mean you should avoid it altogether? Not if you are smart, says one bariatric doctor.
Many dieticians suggest eating a meal before going to the fair or any other place where you might be tempted by fatty, sugary or salty foods. But Dr. Lori Hurst with St. Vincent Bariatric Center of
Excellence says that‘s often an unreasonable choice, and says its okay to go to the fair hungry, “but not starving. It‘s better to do that than to eat a meal before you go, and then eating again at the fair – essentially two large meals back to back.”
Hurst says if you are smart, you can indulge a little at the fair without overdoing it. “We tend to go crazy when there are a lot of options,” said Hurst. “But we should ask ourselves ‘what do I really want to spend my calories on?‘ Then, let the other stuff go until next year‘s fair.”
One good thing about having fatty food at the fair is there is plenty of space to walk it off. Hurst says you should take advantage of it, “or plan an activity to do after you get home to move around and help offset your eating for that day.”
BEEF RECALL AFFECTS HOOSIERS
Some of more than 50,000 pounds of recalled beef is in Indiana stores.
A Kansas beef-packing company has recalled the beef that may be contaminated with E. coli. National Beef Packing Company recalled the beef that was produced on July 18th.
The beef was shipped with an establishment number of “EST.208A” inside the USDA mark of inspection. IGA stores and Cash Saver stores are on the list included in the recall. Indiana has at least 60 IGA stores and three Cash Saver stores.
THE USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced the recall this week, but no illnesses have been reported.
The USDA says the problem was discovered through monitoring. E. coli is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in severe cases, kidney failure. Very young people, seniors and people with weak immune systems are most susceptible to the illness.
For more information on the recall, call 866-761-9472 or visit NationalBeef.com.
STATE FAIR INSPECTS
State inspectors are finishing up their last checks on dozens of rides at the Indiana State Fair. Indiana Department of Homeland Security Spokesman John Erickson says about eight inspectors have examining rides for the past week. They check motors, seatbelts and make sure procedures are in compliance. They‘re keeping tabs on some 50 rides. Erickson says, as always, inspectors will be on site for the entire fair. The fair kicks off at noon Friday.
STARBUCKS GOOGLE
Hoosiers who like super-quick Wi-Fi are in for a new treat with their lattes at Starbucks.
Starbucks says says it‘s dumping AT&T and going with Google as its new, free Wi-Fi carrier. Google‘s partnership with Level 3 Communications is promising speeds ten times faster than what AT&T has been providing at Starbucks for several years.
Indianapolis-based internet culture expert Steven Shattuck says the move is a natural partnership that‘ll help Starbucks attract even more young and hip customers. Shattuck says Google is more of a “sexier, household name” that AT&T and has more cache with young professionals.
Shattuck says the partnership is yet another way that Google is moving into more and more sectors of American culture. Starbucks is debuting Google‘s faster service beginning next month at new stores and will roll it out in its 7000 other U.S. stores over the next 18 months.
BENNETT RESIGNS IN FLORIDA
Tony Bennett was the third Education Commissioner for Florida Governor Rick Scott in three years.
His tenure turned out to be the shortest, but not because of anything that took place in the Sunshine State.
The former State School Superintendent in Indiana resigned from his Florida job on Thursday, three days after emails released by the Associated Press from September 2012 showed that Bennett‘s education department worked to alter the state‘s A-F grading formula.
The work began after it was discovered that Christel House, a charter school funded by philanthropist Christel DeHaan, would receive a grade of C for the 2011-12 school year. DeHaan had given thousands in campaign contributions to Bennett – as well as several other Republican and Democratic politicians. But the emails suggested Bennett and members of his staff were worried because Christel House had been touted as a model school that would receive a grade of A even after the formula for the A-F system was altered by Bennett‘s department last year.
Bennett says he was not pressured into stepping down. “Governor Scott has been incredibly supportive and encouraged me to continue in my role as commissioner.
The decision to resign is mine and mine alone,” said Bennett. The former superintendent also blamed the situation on what he called “malicious, unfounded reports out of Indiana,” that he characterized as “politically motivated.”





