23-Year-Old Jeff man arrested for Battery on Two-Month-Old Infant

23-Year-Old Jeff man arrested for Battery on Two-Month-Old Infant


The Indiana State Police arrested a Jeffersonville man Tuesday afternoon for Battery and Neglect of a Dependent in a tragic case involving a two-month-old infant in his care. 

The infant remains in critical condition at Norton’s Children’s Hospital. 

Spencer Faircloth, 23, Jeffersonville, was arrested and charged for the following:

  1. Aggravated Battery – Level 3 Felony
  2. Battery – Level 3 Felony
  3. Neglect of a Dependent – Level 3 Felony

Faircloth was arrested at the Indiana State Police Post in Sellersburg without incident and transported to the Scott County Jail. 

On December 16, 2021, The Indiana Department of Child Services (DCS) and Norton’s Children’s Hospital contacted Detective Sergeant Dave Mitchell and Detective Chris Tucker with the Indiana State Police in Sellersburg regarding an allegation of child battery involving a two-month-old infant.  

Detective Tucker assumed the case and immediately began his investigation which included numerous interviews with the family, medical staff, and the mother’s boyfriend. 

During the investigation, Detective Tucker learned that the child was at the family’s Austin, Indiana home with the mother, grand-parents, and the mother’s boyfriend at the time of the alleged battery.

Investigators learned the baby awoke around 5:30 a.m on the 16th and the grandfather changed the baby’s diaper. Investigators believe there was nothing abnormal or wrong with the child at that time. 

Shortly after 5:30, the mother’s boyfriend began caring for the child. 

Around 8:30 that same morning, Faircloth woke the mother and advised something was wrong with the infant. 

The family drove the child to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour, Indiana. 

The medical staff in Seymour then had the child transported to Norton’s Children’s Hospital in Louisville. 

The Indiana Department of Child Services and the Indiana State Police were contacted shortly after the child was diagnosed by doctors at Norton’s. 

Detective Tucker continued the investigation over the following days. 

On Tuesday, December 21, and as a result information gained during the investigation, Detective Tucker arrested Faircloth.